Paul P. Mealing

Check out my book, ELVENE. Available as e-book and as paperback (print on demand, POD). Also this promotional Q&A on-line.

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Fruits of Corporate Greed


A couple of years ago I wrote a post about global feudalism, but it’s much worse than I thought.

This eye-opening programme is shameful. As Kerry O’Brien says at the end: out of sight, out of mind. This is the so-called level playing field in action. Jobs going overseas because the labour is cheaper. Actually it’s jobs going overseas because it’s virtually slave labour - I’m talking literally not figuratively.

But more revelatory than anything else is that there is no code of ethics for these companies unless it is forced upon them. They really don’t care if the workers, who actually create the products they sell, die or are injured or are abused. When things go wrong they do their best to avoid accountability, and, like all criminals, only own up when incontrovertible evidence is produced.

3 comments:

The Atheist Missionary said...

Paul, I commend a listen to Dan Carlin's Common Sense podcast #236 - Trapped By the Inflexible Mind (September 6, 2012). Free on iTunes or available via this link: http://www.dancarlin.com/csredir.php?show=Show-236---Trapped-by-the-Inflexible-Mind

He nails this issue.

Paul P. Mealing said...

Hi TAM,

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I'm currently reading Colin McGinn's Basic Structures of Reality; Essays in Meta-Physics, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'll review it on Amazon when I finish, but I'll only give it 1 star for good spelling and grammar. Yes, it's that bad.

Regards, Paul.

The Atheist Missionary said...

Ha! McGinn seems to be unraveling as of late. I bought his novel Bad Patches but not sure if it will make it to the top 100 of my unread library anytime soon.