Paul P. Mealing

Check out my book, ELVENE. Available as e-book and as paperback (print on demand, POD). Also this promotional Q&A on-line.

Monday 22 April 2024

Kant’s 300th Birthday (22nd April)

 I wouldn’t have known this if I hadn’t read about it in Philosophy Now. I have to confess I’ve only read the first and most famous of his 3 ‘Critiques’, The Critique of Pure Reason. I have to say that I think Kant was the first philosopher I read where I realised that it’s not about trying to convince everyone you’re right (even though, that’s effectively the methodology) so much as making people think outside their own box.
 
Kant famously attempted to bridge ‘empiricism’ (a la Hume) with ‘reason’ (a la Leibniz), as both necessary in the pursuit of knowledge. In other words, you can’t rely on just one of these fundamental approaches to epistemology. He also famously categorised them as ‘post priori’ and ‘a priori’ respectively, meaning that reason or logic is knowledge gained prior or independently of observation, while empirically derived evidence is derived after an observed event (by necessity). Curiously, he categorised space and time, as a priori, meaning they were mental states. I’ve quoted this often from The Critique of Pure Reason.
 
But this space and this time, and with them all appearances, are not in themselves things; they are nothing but representations and cannot exist outside our minds.
 
I’ve always fundamentally disagreed with this, but the fact that Kant challenges our intuitively held comprehension of space and time, based on our everyday experience, makes one think more deeply about it, if one wants to present a counter-argument.
 
He’s also famous for coining the term, ‘transcendental idealism’, which is like some exotic taxonomy in the library of philosophical ideas. Again, I’ll quote from the source:

All these faculties have a transcendental (as well as an empirical) employment which concerns the form alone, and is possible apriori. 
 
By ‘all these faculties’, he’s talking about our mental faculties to use reason to understand something ‘a priori’. I concluded in an essay I wrote on this very topic, when I studied Kant, that the logical and practical realisation of ‘transcendental idealism’ is mathematics, though I doubt that’s what Kant meant. The fact is that in the intervening 200+ years, epistemology has been dominated by physics, which combines empirical evidence with mathematics in a dialectical relationship, so it’s become impossible to do one without the other. So, in a way, I think Kant foresaw this relationship before it evolved into the profound and materially successful enterprise that we call science.
 
A couple of things I didn’t know. In his early years before he gained tenure, he supplemented his meagre income by private tutoring and hustling at billiards – who would have thought.
 
He also got into trouble with newly elected king, Friedrich Wilhelm II, for his critiques on religion, when he published The General Natural History and Theory of the Heavens in 1755, arguing for a purely physical explanation of the Universe’s origins, a good 200 years before it became acceptable. In effect, he was censored, and he didn’t publish anything else on religion until after Friedrich died, whereupon he immediately made up for lost time.

No comments: