Paul P. Mealing

Check out my book, ELVENE. Available as e-book and as paperback (print on demand, POD). Also this promotional Q&A on-line.

Saturday 6 November 2021

Reality and our perception of it

The latest issue of Philosophy Now (Issue 146, Oct/Nov 2021) has as its theme, ‘Reality’. The cover depicts Alice falling down the rabbit hole, with the notated question, What’s Really Real? I was motivated (inspired is the wrong word) to write a letter to the Editor, after reading an essay by Paul Griffiths, titled, Against Direct Realism. According to the footnote at the end of the article: Dr Paul H. Griffiths has a background in physics and engineering, and a longstanding interest in the philosophy and science of perception. I have a background in engineering and an interest in philosophy and science (physics in particular), but there the similarity ends.

 

Griffiths gives an historical account, mostly last century, concerning problems and points of view on ‘direct realism’ and ‘indirect realism’, using terms like ‘disjunctivism’ and ‘representationalism’, making me wonder if all of philosophy can be reduced to a collection of isms. To be fair to Griffiths, he’s referencing what others have written on this topic, and how it’s led to various schools of thought. I took the easy way out and didn’t address any of that directly, nor reference any of his many citations. Instead, I simply gave my interpretation of the subject based on what I’ve learned from the science, and then provided my own philosophical twist.

 

I’ve covered a lot of this before when I wrote an essay on Kant. Griffiths doesn’t mention Kant, but arguably that’s where this debate began, when he argued that we can never know the ‘thing-in-itself’, but only a perception of it. Just to address that point, I’ve argued that the thing-in-itself varies depending on the scale one observes it at. It also depends on things like what wavelength radiation you might use to probe it. 

 

But, in the context of direct realism or indirect realism, various creatures perceive reality in different ways, which I allude to in my 400 word response. If I was to try and put myself in one of Griffith’s categories, I expect I’m an ‘indirect realist’ because I believe in an independent reality and that my ‘perception’ of it is unique to my species, meaning other species would perceive it differently, either because they have different senses or the senses they have can perceive other parts of the spectrum to mine. For example, some insects and birds can see in the ultra-violet range, and we can see some colours that other primates can’t see.

 

However, I never mention those terms, or even Kant, in my missive to the Editor. I do, however, mention the significance of space and time, both to reality, and our perception of it. Here is my response:

 

 

Paul Griffith’s essay titled, Against Direct Realism (Issue 146, October/November 2021) discusses both the philosophy and science of ‘perception’, within the last century in particular. There are two parts to this topic: an objective reality and our ability to perceive it. One is obviously dependent on the other, and they need to be addressed in that order.

 

The first part is whether there is an objective reality at all. Donald Hoffman claims that ‘nothing exists unperceived, including space and time’, and that there are only ‘conscious agents’. This is similar to the argument that we live in a simulation. There is, of course, one situation where this happens, and that’s when we are dreaming. Our brains create a simulacrum of reality in our minds, which we can not only see but sometimes feel. We’re only aware that it’s not reality when we wake up.

 

There is a major difference between this dream state and ‘real life’ and that is that reality can be fatal – it can kill you. This is key to understanding both aspects of this question. It’s not contentious that our brains have evolved the remarkable ability to model this reality, and that is true in other creatures as well, yet we perceive different things, colour being the most obvious example, which only occurs in some creature’s mind. Birds can see in almost 300 degree vision, and bats and dolphins probably ‘see’ in echo-location, which we can’t even imagine. Not only that, but time passes at different rates for different creatures, which we can mimic with time-lapse or slow-motion cinematography. 

 

But here’s the thing: all these ‘means’ of perception are about keeping us and all these creatures alive. Therefore, the model in our minds must match the external reality with some degree of accuracy, yet it does even better than that, because the model even appears to be external to our heads. What’s more, the model predicts the future, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to catch a ball thrown to you. *

 

There is one core attribute of both reality and its perception that is rarely discussed, and that is space and time. We live in a universe with three spatial dimensions and one time dimension, so the models our brains create need to reflect that. The reason we can’t imagine a higher dimensional space, even though we can represent it mathematically, is because we don’t live in one.

 

 

·      There is a 120 millisecond delay between the action and the perception, and your brain compensates for it.

11 comments:

Mary said...

When I dream they often seem vague and when I do have a pretty clear one, even though it is odd in what occurs, I always know it’s not really real. I’ve never felt when I suddenly wake up that a dream was real. My subconscious mind "knows" it’s not the reality of my conscious awake mind.

Paul P. Mealing said...

Hi Mary,

I dream a lot and I also write fiction. Anecdotally, a lot of writers talk about dreams, and I've argued elsewhere on this blog, that if we didn't dream, stories wouldn't work. In effect, I argue that the language of stories is the language of dreams.

Personally, if I become aware I'm in a dream, it usually throws me out of the dream - I wake up. The thing is that there is a conscious and subconscious part to a dream. The subconscious part seems to be created by your brain as what-if scenarios and they can defy logic, space and time, without seeming weird while we're in them. But there is also a conscious part, which is how you react to it. When I wake up, I try to remember how I reacted, because I think I can learn about myself. There's a lot of debate about what purpose dreams serve, but I think dreams put you in scenarios to test you. Stories can do the same.

The curious thing about writing fiction is that the characters feel like real people - in fact, if I'm writing a story and the characters don't take on a life of their own, then I know I'm wasting my time and I'll give it up.

I know I've gone off on a tangent, but we often meet people in dreams who are complete strangers, yet feel real, similar to what happens in a story. I write about the process here:

Secret heroes

citizenschallenge said...

You write: “… an objective reality and our ability to perceive it. One is obviously dependent on the other.”

I have difficulty with that phrasing because it comes across sounding like: ‘they are inter-dependent’.

Then I’m back to wondering why we’re overlooking that "Objective reality" is a product of our conscious mind trying to minimize our biases - “objective” is not a product of “physical reality.”

Doesn’t it seem the abilities of a creature to perceive varies according to the needs of the creature who’s sensing organs/instruments have been honed to support that particular creature trying to get by in its particular environment.

We’re all observing the same physical reality, how we process what we observe, is an entirely different subjective matter.

I think we do science and humanity a disservice when we refuse to explicitly recognize, digest and come to terms with, that is, learning to appreciate the 'Physical Reality ~ Human Mindscape divide.’

Paul P. Mealing said...

Looking at your last 3 paragraphs, I'm not sure what we disagree on. I assume you read the complete post.

The 'dependency' I refer to is that there has to be an 'objective reality' in order to perceive it. Then I go on to explain how different creatures do perceive it, which is consistent with your third-last paragraph. There is an alternative view, which I mention, which is that there is no 'objective reality', but I obviously disagree with that.

When you say:

We’re all observing the same physical reality, how we process what we observe, is an entirely different subjective matter.

I thought that was what I said. If you think I said something else, I'd be interested in your interpretation.

citizenschallenge said...

I appreciate what you are saying, still my 'issue' as spelled out in my second paragraph above: "I have difficulty with that phrasing because it comes across sounding like: ‘they are inter-dependent’."

That is "perception" and "reality" being inter-dependent. But, how we perceive things has nothing to do with the physical nature of the thing being observed and everything to do with how our particular instrument receives & processes the data.

Thoughtlessly, dare I say flippantly, interchanging Objective Reality with Physical Reality, opens the door to Donald Hoffman's sort of Case Against Reality acid trip where you start thinking your brain is actually creating the reality you are seeing. When in actually your brain is simply producing an impression of what you are looking at, according to its abilities.

"Objective" is a product of the human mind, it is not an aspect of the Physical Reality that Earth and evolution was born out of, nor is "objectivity" part of nature's daily processes unfolding. "Objectivity" is a human invention. Which I believe is profoundly important to keep in mind - and appreciate.

(It's why I'm coming to suspect the biggest fundamental failing of modern scientists, leader and citizens is losing sight of the "Physical Reality ~ Human Mindscape divide." How else to explain the incredible, disconnect between the knowledge at our disposable and the massive amount of delusional thinking among our leaders and citizens?)

citizenschallenge said...

Or to be more succinct,
Reality simply IS.

Whereas objectively is a function of the perceiving process, thus all it's over the map.

Thanks for your time.

citizenschallenge said...

Excuse the transposition.

Your silence is ominous, please don't freeze me out.

If the notion: "Physical Reality ~ Human Mindscape divide" is a non-starter, can you please explain why?
Because it seems to me as fundamental as we can get.

Like a foundation upon which to build:
Physical Reality. is the physical world of atoms, molecules, universal laws of physics, biology and Earth’s laws of nature.  It is Earth’s dance between geology and biology and time and Earth's evolving creatures.

Human Mindscape is all that goes on inside of our minds.  The landscape of our thoughts and desires and impulses and those various voices and personalities who inhabit our thoughts and Being.  The ineffable ideas that our hands can turn into physical reality and change our planet.  

Paul P. Mealing said...

Sorry, I'd written a response, but I wanted to sleep on it overnight, which is probably when you're awake.
Here's my response to your earlier comment:

The very definition of ‘objective’ should resolve your dilemma. To me, ‘objective’ means independent, specifically independent of conscious thought. In fact, the dictionary definition says: not dependent on the mind for existence; actual. Reality is, according to your argument, an external physical reality to the mind, so not so different. The most important point, which I’m sure you agree upon, is that physical reality still exists when we’re not looking, and especially when we’re no longer here.

In my missive to Philosophy Now, I specifically said, ‘objective reality’, so I’m talking about a reality independent of ‘mind’. I think that’s very clear.

I have an unusual answer to the question: Why is there something rather than nothing? Without consciousness, there might as well be nothing. There is no reality for you when you’re not conscious. There was no reality before you were born and no reality after you die. So there is a ‘subjective’ and ‘objective’ component of reality, and I agree that it’s important to be cognisant of the difference.

Paul P. Mealing said...

Here are a couple of posts I've published previously on this topic:

What sorts of things exist?

This a longer post, but the first half deals with the topic in hand:

My 2 sided philosophy

citizenschallenge said...

Thank you Paul, for taking the time to explain and for sharing those two links.
You've given me something to think about and I'd better read and chew on those posts before any further response.

I'm counting on them helping me better explain the nuance I'm trying to highlight.

Paul P. Mealing said...

I thought they might stimulate you.
My whole purpose or intent in writing this blog, is to make people think.