Paul P. Mealing

Check out my book, ELVENE. Available as e-book and as paperback (print on demand, POD). Also this promotional Q&A on-line.

Tuesday 21 August 2018

Is the world an illusion?

This is the latest Question of the Month in Philosophy Now (Issue 127, August/September 2018). I don't enter them all, but I confess I wrote this one in half an hour, though I spent a lot of time polishing it. Some readers will note that it comprises variations on ideas I've expressed before. The rules stipulate that it must be less than 400 words, so this is 399.


There are two aspects to this question: epistemological and ontological. Dreams are obviously illusional, where time and space are often distorted, yet we are completely accepting of these perceptual dislocations until we wake up and recall them. Dreams are also the only examples of solipsism we ever experience. But here’s the thing: how do you know that the so-called reality we all take for granted is not as illusory as a dream? Philosophers often claim that you don’t, in the same way that you don’t know if you’re a brain in a vat.

The standard answer to solipsism is that you can be the only one, because everyone you know and meet can only exist in your mind. So the answer to the difference between a dream and reality is the converse. If I meet someone in a dream, I’m the only one who is aware of it. On the other hand, if I meet someone in real life, we can both remember it. We both have a subjective conscious experience that is concordant with our respective memories. This doesn’t happen in a dream. By inference, everyone’s individual subjective experience is not only their particular reality but a reality that they share with others. We’ve all had shared experiences that we individually recall, correlate and mutually confirm.

The world, which I will call the Universe, exists on many levels, from the subatomic to the astronomical. Our normal perception of it only covers one level which is intermediate between these extremes. The different realities of scale are deduced through mathematics and empirical evidence, in the form of radio waves collected in an array of gigantic dishes (at the largest scale) to trails of high energy particles in the Large Hadron Collider (at the smallest scale). Kant once argued that we can never know ‘the thing-in-itself”, and he was right because the thing-in-itself changes according to the scale we observe it at.

In the last century we learned that everything we can see and touch is made of atoms that are mostly empty space. It requires advanced mathematics and a knowledge of quantum mechanics (using the Pauli Exclusion Principle) to demonstrate how it is that these atoms (of mostly empty space) don’t allow us to all fall through the floor that we are standing on. So we depend on the illusion that we are not predominantly empty space just to exist.


I wrote a much longer discussion on this issue (almost 2 years ago) in response to an academic paper that claims only conscious agents exist, and that nothing else (including spacetime) exists 'unperceived'.

4 comments:

Henk Tennekes said...

I can’t avoid responding to your latest, Paul.

“Is the world an illusion?” As far as I am concerned, this phrase is misleading. One is allowed to say: the world appears as an illusion to me, or, for that matter: the world appears as real to me. I stick with epistemology, much as Immanual Kant did.

I have become weary of the tricks that human intellect plays. The academic who wrote tha only conscious agents exist, and nothing that is not perceived, took a perspective that is alien to me. I do not believe that human reason is superior to all other agents, human, animal, or vegetable. Just think a moment of the wisdom of a tree.

My favorite angle on the world of illusions can be found in some of the books by Richard Bach, him of Jonathan Livingstone Seagull. I recommend his Illusions and Hypnotizing Maria. These books inspire me time and again, whether I agree with Bach’s take on things or not.

For me, your musings come close to treading on holy ground. Good show! Let me write this: the phrase “God is an illusion” contains the usual ontological error. We could say: I perceive God as an illusion that is real to me. I perceive myself as one of His children. I have written on these matters before, and will try to retrieve those texts.

Best, Henk

Paul P. Mealing said...

Hi Henk,

Thanks for your feedback. I'll put your comment on my blog, if that's okay.
I almost took another approach to this, but given I only had 400 words, I took a specific approach.
I originally started with the line: 'Humans are consummate experts in the art of illusion'; whereby I intended to write about fiction and mythology and our love affair (addiction) with movies. By the way, I've made the claim (in a previous post) that if we didn't dream, stories wouldn't work, which is why I started talking about dreams but then took another direction with it.
I read Bach's Livingstone Seagull a long time ago, and I think I might have read Illusions - is that the one about the guy flying a biplane? I have a memory that someone lent it to me (decades ago). Hypnotising Maria I confess I'd never heard of before.
Regarding God, I've often said that God is an experience and is unique to the person who has it, which is quite different to what institutionalised religions prescribe.

All the best, and thanks for taking an interest in my thoughts,
Regards, Paul.

Henk Tennekes said...

You’re welcome to put my feedback on your blog, Paul.

I wrote a paragraph on the relation beween the material world and the mental world in a little Dutch book that was published in 2001. A few lines:

We pretend that our mind is an immaterial entity that can make the material world intelligible through rational analysis. In that illusion the mind needs the body only as a material survival kit, a complicated but ultimately trivial machine. However, our brains are an ecological luxury, not necessary for life on earth. Even at the most elementary level nature manages to create connecting patterns. The arrangement of atoms in a crystalline grid is a simple example of mental acivity. The human mind cannot claim the monopoly on the mental world because our entire body is a mental phenomenon.

Regards, Henk

Paul P. Mealing said...

I've written about this at some length without necessarily drawing any definitive conclusions.

I don't think in terms of mind and body, but consciousness and the physical universe. The physical universe begat consciousness (through a convoluted process called evolution) and consciousness gives the Universe meaning. Consciousness is an experience, a phenomenon rather than an object or entity. As far as we know, it doesn't exist without a brain (not necessarily a human brain) but without it there is no reality. Reality requires both a physical world and consciousness. When you're unconscious, reality ceases to exist. In answer to the question: why is there something rather than nothing? Without consciousness there might as well be nothing.

Best regards, Paul.