Paul P. Mealing

Check out my book, ELVENE. Available as e-book and as paperback (print on demand, POD). Also this promotional Q&A on-line.

Thursday 31 May 2012

This is so COOL

This is a brilliant piece of simple, yet profound, scientific understanding, that anyone with a high school education should be able to follow. I can't imbed it so I provide this link.

John D. Barrow, in his book, The Constants of Nature provides a very neat graphic (p. 222 of 2003 Vintage paperback edition) that demonstrates why 3 dimensions of space and 1 of time provide the most 'livable' universe (my term, not his). Barrow has written extensively on the 'Anthropic Principle' in all its manifestations, and I keep promising myself that I'll write a post on it one day.

4 comments:

The Atheist Missionary said...

I'm trying to conceive of 4 dimensions of space but can't get my head around it. Any ideas or suggested readings?

The Atheist Missionary said...

The article Imagining Other Dimensions from Nova's website is helpful: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/imagining-other-dimensions.html

Paul P. Mealing said...

Actually, a tesseract is a 4 dimensional cube or hyper cube.

If you unfold a 3 dimensional cube into 2 dimensions you get a 'Christian' cross. You have a square off every square plus an extra one so that it connects.

A hyper cube has another cube of every face of a 3 dimensional cube. Barrow gives the best illustration on p.211 of the book I reference in the post.

Regards, Paul

Paul P. Mealing said...

Actually, there is a good discussion of hypercubes on YouTube.

Regards, Paul.