Paul P. Mealing

Check out my book, ELVENE. Available as e-book and as paperback (print on demand, POD). Also this promotional Q&A on-line.

Tuesday 21 December 2010

Ayaan Hirsi Ali

This woman should need no introduction, she’s been in the media in most Western countries I’m sure. I thought this was a really good interview (Tue. 21 Dec. 2010) because it gives an insight into her background as well as a candid exposition of her political and philosophical views.

I haven’t read either of her biographies, but I’ve read second-hand criticism which led me to believe she was anti-Islamic. This is not entirely true, depending on how one defines Islam. To quote her own words: “I have no problem with the religious dimension of Islam.” She’s not the first Muslim I’ve come across to differentiate between religious and political Islam. Most Westerners, especially since 9/11, believe that any such distinction is artificial. I beg to differ.

She makes it very clear that she’s against the imposition of Sharia law, the subjugation of women and any form of totalitarianism premised on religious-based scripture (irrespective of the religion). In short, she’s a feminist. She decries the trivial arguments over dress when there are other issues of far greater import, like arranged marriages, so-called circumcision of women and honour killings. (For an intelligent debate on whether the burqua should be ‘outlawed’ I refer you to this.)

What I found remarkable, and almost unimaginable, was how violent her childhood and upbringing were. There was violence in the school, violence in the home, violence in politics. As she points out it was so pervasive that a peaceful environment was considered unthinkable. One of the most poignant stories she tells was when she went to Holland to seek asylum, and on going to a Police Station to register, the policeman asked her if she would like a cup of coffee or tea. This was a revelation to her: that a man in uniform should offer a woman, a stranger and a foreigner, a cup of coffee or tea was simply mind-blowing.

It is beyond most of us to imagine a childhood where violence is the principal form of interrogation and negotiation between people in all walks of life: home, education and work; yet that was her life. That she can now talk of falling in love and of writing a letter to her unborn child for a hopeful future is close to miraculous.

What resonated with me was her argument that it doesn’t take 600 years to reconcile Islam with the modern secular world, but only 4 generations. I have Muslim friends, both in America and in Australia, and they belie the belief, held by many in Western societies, that Muslims can’t assimilate and yet keep their cultural and spiritual beliefs. They demonstrate to me that Ayaan Hirsi Ali is correct in her fundamental assumptions and philosophical approach.

3 comments:

Eli said...

"She’s not the first Muslim I’ve come across to differentiate between religious and political Islam. Most Westerners, especially since 9/11, believe that any such distinction is artificial."

Yeah, which is disgusting. Most of those people are Christians who wouldn't doubt for a second that Christians can separate out their religion from their politics, so it's amazingly hypocritical of them to say that the same thing isn't true of Islam.

The Atheist Missionary said...

You forgot to add that she's hot.

Happy New year. TAM.

Paul P. Mealing said...

Hi Tam,

Yes, you're right, but she's no Paris Hilton (thank God). I've known a number of women with brains and beauty, and without the brains I wouldn't pass my time with them. I was fortunate as a kid to know some very intelligent women, so I don't suffer from that particular prejudice that often befalls my generation.

Any woman can turn my head if she's dressed to kill - I'm no different to any other bloke. But a beautiful body with an empty head is not very appealing. I never watch beauty pageants for that very reason.

It's interesting that women see through fatuous males quicker than the other way round.

Oh, and I love to watch a woman who can really dance ("You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer, Helter Skelter"). Women who can play a musical instrument virtuosically are a real turn-on as well (I'm thinking violin or piano or cello rather than sax or flute or guitar).

So you've got me totally off track.

Here is a video, both humourous and serious. Sorry about the commercial at the beginning, but it shows what a delightful and charming conversationalist she would be. And yes, she's model material.

And all the best to you in 2011 too.

Best regards, Paul.